- khazgurian likes this
- alittleverydirectionless likes this
- kisari reblogged this from stfufauxminists
- hip-mama reblogged this from albinwonderland
- warpathpimpin reblogged this from mochafleur
- lmb93 reblogged this from deanwhiskeychester
- owlconsumeyou likes this
- amymurlowski reblogged this from therotund
- bethfuckingweasley likes this
- crude-rhythms likes this
- cheshworld reblogged this from femblr
- cheshworld likes this
- theotherwindow likes this
- leparoxysmic reblogged this from meanwhilegradstudents
- barebrownboy likes this
- 191t reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- ironmaryreblog reblogged this from femblr and added:
- spooneyes likes this
- gettingtothechurchontime reblogged this from wanderinghymns8
- earth-fat-slut likes this
- yesitstrueofcourseido likes this
- wwwthebombdotcom reblogged this from sparkamovement
- wwwthebombdotcom likes this
- aquilathegreat reblogged this from sparkamovement
- hopelesslypretty reblogged this from bravenewgirls
- the-lady-blue reblogged this from cannotkeepfromsinging
- totsa reblogged this from hedgehogballoon
- hpgal3 reblogged this from takealookatyourlife
- hpgal3 likes this
- little-lovely-lily reblogged this from sparkamovement
- pyschomutt reblogged this from albinwonderland
- firinginthehole reblogged this from stupid-egg
- firinginthehole likes this
- sunshinemonsters reblogged this from notyourheart
- necro-sheep reblogged this from thegang
- castielappreciationlife reblogged this from southernfeminist
- rocksbocks likes this
- vertices likes this
- your-ridiculous-lies reblogged this from phanapoeia
- weareofthesun reblogged this from gtfothinspo
- weareofthesun likes this
- phanapoeia reblogged this from sapphicmix
- limit-breaker reblogged this from sparkamovement
- hummelandersonchang reblogged this from feministdisney
- can-i-poke-it-with-a-stick reblogged this from thorsies
- little-fox-prince-kozak reblogged this from notalickofsense
- aetheria reblogged this from lipsredasroses
- bossestbitch reblogged this from vanana-bro
- loki-ngood reblogged this from surfsup-shinjikun
There are female athletes who will be competing at the Olympic Games this summer after undergoing treatment to make them less masculine.
Still others are being secretly investigated for displaying overly manly characteristics, as sport’s highest medical officials attempt to quantify — and regulate — the hormonal difference between male and female athletes.
Caster Semenya, the South African runner who was so fast and muscular that many suspected she was a man, exploded onto the front pages three years ago. She was considered an outlier, a one-time anomaly.
But similar cases are emerging all over the world, and Semenya, who was banned from competition for 11 months while authorities investigated her sex, is back, vying for gold.
Semenya and other women like her face a complex question: Does a female athlete whose body naturally produces unusually high levels of male hormones, allowing them to put on more muscle mass and recover faster, have an “unfair” advantage?
In a move critics call “policing femininity,” recent rule changes by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF), the governing body of track and field, state that for a woman to compete, her testosterone must not exceed the male threshold.
If it does, she must have surgery or receive hormone therapy prescribed by an expert IAAF medical panel and submit to regular monitoring. So far, at least a handful of athletes — the figure is confidential — have been prescribed treatment, but their numbers could increase. Last month, the International Olympic Committee began the approval process to adopt similar rules for the Games.
There’s a lot going on here, but here’s what jumped out at us immediately: Women, particularly women athletes, are constantly told they’re not as strong or fast as men—and now that they’re proving otherwise, they’re being forced to undergo hormone treatments. We don’t think it’s a coincidence that women of color are coming under fire for this more than white women. From the article: “Lindsay Perry, another scientist, says sometimes whole teams of African women are dead ringers for men.” This is a clear example of how we’ve constructed a very particular, very narrow ideal of femininity and womanhood that devalues and casts aside black women in particular.
That’s like saying men who are too tall can’t be allowed to play basketball, men whose have naturally more testosterone can’t compete because it’s unfair to other men, and so on, and so on. Anyone with a physically natural advantage must be hindered. That’s not how sports work. What if they told a young man he was too big to play football? You can’t only real women can compete, and real women have to be this size and have this much of a certain hormone, otherwise they’re not women….but they’re not men either.
All of the above comments. When you have to try so hard to maintain femininity and masculinity on YOUR standards…